Geographic Information Systems
A geographic information system (GIS) lets us visualize, question, analyze, and interpret data to understand relationships, patterns, and trends. This program prepares students to work in high-tech fields, including photogrammetry, cartography, geographical information systems, global positioning systems, and satellite remote sensing. Students learn how to acquire geospatial information from a variety of sources; interpret, use and manage geospatial data for a given purpose; and use geographic information system software for storage, manipulation, and analysis of geospatial data.
Students will receive work based experience and acquire geospatial technical competencies in vector, raster and light detection and ranging technologies. Completion of the GIS certificate will lead to a fulfilling career in GIS!
This program includes a full course in PYTHON! – THE #1 programming language for GIS!
You will learn how to:
- Create web maps
- Create GIS online applications
- Gather data
- Design maps
- Write scripts
- Apply GIS for business
2017-2018 Program Dates
Internship will begin after program end date.
Part-Time/Online Hybrid (M,W 12–4 p.m.)
- 8/21/2017 – 9/1/2018
Part-Time/Online Hybrid (M,W 5–9 p.m.)
- 8/21/2017 – 9/1/2018
- Qualified Financial Aid Program
- Total Credit Hours: 38
- Estimated Program Cost: $4,362 (books may add to your final cost)
It's free to apply to Emily Griffith Technical College. You're under no obligation once you apply. Filling out an application allows us to connect you with people who can provide more information about your preferred studies and career goals.
Experience: 1-5 years
- Hourly Pay = $15-$22
- Annual Salary = $31,000-$46,000
Experience: 5-10 years
- Hourly Pay = $22-$26
- Annual Salary = $44,000-$52,000
Experienced: 10-15 years
- Hourly Pay = $26-$32
- Annual Salary = $54,000-$64,000
To what types of jobs do these skills apply?
- GIS Analyst/Engineer
- GIS Specialist
- GIS Field Collector GIS Mapping Supervisor
- GeoDatabase Administrator GIS Technician I
- Assistant GIS Specialist
- GIS Technician II GeoSpatial Office Technician
- GIS Trainer
- GIS Programmer Python Developer I
- GIS Software Tester
- GIS Cloud Engineer GIS Project Manager
- GeoSpatial Services Supervisor
What types of companies might hire me?
- Government: Federal, State and Local, Defense, Department of the Interior, Land Administration
- Business: Retail, Banking, Real Estate, Manufacturing
- Natural Resources: Conservation, Environmental Management, Water Resources, Forestry
- Public Safety: Law Enforcement, Surveying, Public Works, Utilities, Fire and Emergency Services
|Course Code||Course Title||Credits|
|Intro to Operating Systems||
|Introduction to Geographic Information Systems||
|Intro to Cartography for GIS||
|Spatial Modeling & Analysis||
|Database Design & Development||