Residency Requirements

In-state tuition is based on the information you provide on your application. To be eligible for in-state tuition, applicants (or the parents of applicants under 23) must show physical presence with intent to create domicile in Colorado for at least 12 months before the first day of the semester.

For applicants not meeting this criterion, non-resident tuition is an additional $100 per credit hour. Non-immigrant aliens who are residing in Colorado for purposes other than education may qualify for in-state status after one year of Colorado residence. Non-immigrants in the following categories cannot qualify for in-state tuition: F-1, F-2, H-3, H-4 (if the visa holder is the spouse or child of an H-3), J-1 and J-2 (if the J-1 visa holder is a student or trainee), M-1, and M-2.

Applicants who are lawful permanent residents or who are admitted as refugees are eligible to establish domicile for tuition purposes. Any applicant who has been classified as a Non-Resident, and believes he/she can qualify as a resident may complete the Petition for In-State Residency in the Registration Office.

Applicants applying for in-state tuition under ASSET may receive an application at the registration desk.

Non-resident active duty members of the armed forces of the United States and Canada on permanent duty stationed in Colorado and their dependents are eligible for in-state status, regardless of domicile or length of residence in Colorado. The military member must have reported to a duty station in the state, as certified by their military command, by the first day of class of the applicable academic term.

Non-resident active duty military personnel and thier dependents must provide the following documents to qualify for in-state tuition status:

  • Certification from your base personnel office that you are on active duty with a permanent duty station in Colorado
  • A photocopy of your military or dependent ID card

House Bill 06S-1023, which was signed into law by the governor on July 31, 2006, requires Colorado Commission on Higher Education and the institutions of higher education to verify the lawful presence of all applicants for public postsecondary education benefits. Beginning August 1, 2006, Emily Griffith Technical College requires that all post-secondary college students provide documentation that they are legally in the United States. The documentation requirement does not apply to Adult Education programs including English Language Acquisition (ELA), GED and Adult Basic Education. Students in ELA, GED and ABE pay equal tuition. There are no in-state or out-of-state prices for these classes. ELA, GED and ABE classes are the same price for all students regardless of their residency status. Refugees and asylees can attend the Career Readiness ELA program at no charge.